Sunday, August 12, 2007

Siyagruva

Yesterday I sailed Siyagruva on Lake Travis with Grant. She's a Beneteau 373 and is Nautic7's flagship. It's time to say goodbye to Morpheus - the trusty Hunter 320 I have spent many an enjoyable afternoon with.

We have a tiny lifevest for Vivian, and she'll start sailing soon. But for now, she hangs with Mom while I go sail. Which is a part of the problem. The other part is that I am late coming back home. I tell Jo I'll be back by 630-7p, but it's already past 9p when I leave the dock. Time just runs away from us. We raise the spinnaker on Siyagruva, and Grant and I are grinning from ear to ear. We are cruising at 4.5 knots in a 9 knots wind! When it's time to drop the spinnaker, we fell like we are in the American's Cup - standing there on the bow and pulling in huge handfuls of flimsy sail.

So I decide to burn another 10 minutes and stop and buy Jo some flowers on the way back. I think it will make my apology smell nicer (after a hot afternoon on the lake, I don't).

I get back home and Vivian is already asleep. I give Jo the flowers and mumble. She says "Don't bother". Ouch.

Jo - I am sorry I was late. I love you and I enjoy sailing. I will be a very happy man if I can do both ;-) Will you go sailing with me the next time?

This morning I am on my best behavior. When Jo hands me Vivian, I take her for a walk. Then we think we'll make mom love us by picking up a pack of diapers. It's so freakin' early on a Sunday morning that Vivian is the second customer to walk in to the Target store. We miss being numero uno by less than 30 seconds. Damn.

I have learned my lesson - the next time I go sailing, I will get to Target early so Vivian can be the first customer to roll in through the door!

ps. the flowers that I got Jo look great and last forever. Jo calls them the "asshole flowers". "Hey - look how nice the asshole flowers look", and "Can you water the asshole flowers", and even "Vivian - what do you think of the asshole flowers".

No comments: