Vivian digs jewelry. She calls necklace "neck'ace". This morning, she and I go out to buy some last minute stocking stuffers. When we get back, Jo asks Vivian how it went. Vivian eagerly replies "Mommy neckace". Hmm - there goes the surprise. Then she adds "Grandma coffee cup". Good thing she can't read my Amazon email receipts - yet.
Another slightly more worrying aspect of Vivian's communication skills is her use of "Oh shit". She uses it correctly and in a very matter-of-fact manner. We can't draw too much attention to it because then she'd just do it more. And while Jo and I aren't potty-mouths, we do occasionally use that phrase - specially when caught by surprise - exactly when it is the hardest to watch what you are saying.
This morning Vivian was playing at the dinning table with her empty plastic glass which eventually fell to the floor. As expected, Vivian said "Oh shit". I tried out my new approach. I don't know if it will work. I explained that the glass hadn't broken. That no juice had been spilled. That it wasn't a big deal. How about just an "Oops", and save the "Oh shit" for the big stuff?
No comments:
Post a Comment