Monday, November 01, 2010

God Made Them All

It's early morning by my standards. Jo has gone to Crossfit. Evan and I are enjoying a few quiet moments before Vivian wakes up. When she does, she finds us on the armchair. Evan's attention is riveted to the upper branches of the big pecan tree outside the window. A dozen doves and three squirrels are providing the entertainment.

Vivian makes herself comfortable in the armchair 0n top of everyone. Usually Evan reaches over and hugs and kisses and slobbers all over Vivian as soon as he sees her. Today he's still staring out the window.

Vivian: "Daddy - what is Evan looking at?"
Me: "Squirrels and birds on the pecan tree"
[Vivian looks out of the window for a few seconds]
Vivian: "God made them all"
Me: "People believe different things. Feel free to believe that"
Vivian: "I believe it. And Ms. Sally believes it too" [Ms. Sally teaches chapel at school]
Me: "That's good"
Vivian: "You don't believe that, right Daddy"
Me: "That's right"
Vivian: "Evan believes it"
Me: "It's hard to say what he believes in because he can't tell us"
[Silence. 30 seconds later...]
Vivian: "Once Evan starts going to church he'll believe it too"
[She laughs. Evan and I join in]
Me: "Yes - I think that's how it works"

No comments: