Monday, January 23, 2017

Tomorrow



Vivian and Evan - even as you become very familiar with the new presidential vocabulary - words like hooker and pussy, you ask how this could happen and what happens next. This may be the day that future archeologists determine was the start of the end. Or perhaps the day we just added a few big dents to this old car that you'll have to drive one day.

Some voted for Trump because they could not vote for a Clinton. I hate Bill and his wife and anything else is better.

Some are disenfranchised. How the fuck did this happen - I lost my job while shopping at Walmart and playing on my iPhone.

Some are scared shitless. Promise to protect me and people who look/pray/have sex like me.

Some need simple answers. You promised me cheaper better health care and a nicer job.

Some voted because of their party. I go to church and I love apple pie and the free market, and you don't like any of that but you are the Republican candidate.

Some are miserable fucks. I hate my life and my shit really stinks and you helped me find other people to blame and I will forever love you for that.

They added up to sixty two million, nine hundred and seventy nine thousand and eight hundred and seventy nine people in just the right places, or one in five Americans. It's settled. But dear Vivian and Evan, in this fight, unless you are the victim, you are the enemy - you, the multilingual NPR-listening gay-embracing locavore yoganista are the enemy.

You are decent peaceful law abiding humans. You believe in facts. You attack Trump's intelligence, morality and lies. You protest.

But Trump isn't stupid. Even if he ruins the world, it isn't because he's stupid. It is more likely that he is a mentally unstable liar. And he is better at manipulating you than you will be. Don't get caught up in the facts. Evan - I tell you this often (and myself, even more) - being right is over rated. Protesting is important in the face of such a giant fuck-up of global scale. It will make you feel good. But will it change minds?

So what happens tomorrow? No one knows. Yesterday I replaced KUT with KUTX. Vivian - you were upset. "Why can't we have the news?" Don't get too excited about what you know and how that is right and "alternative facts". Take the long view. Don't sweat the small stuff, and be ready to change the definition of "small". Reach out and talk. Find someone who voted for Trump or didn't vote and find out why. Listen. Start a new conversation. Or a political party. Today get ready to make a difference tomorrow.

No comments: