Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Om

I am in Boston for a week. This morning I have some time on my hands. As you can tell.


Looking through my computer I found this photo of the kids spontaneously sitting down in front of a huge stack of giant Costco-sized Oreo boxes and meditating. My mother would be horrified. And impressed.

My mother was somewhat of a pioneer. She was a doctor and researcher at a time a lot of women weren't. She was also a religious person. She woke up at the crack of dawn and meditated in her puja room (the chapel in the house for non-desis) for an hour. I was interested in the meditation part. But trying to make your mind silent when you are ten doesn't seem very interesting. Though I did occasionally try to sit and say Om very slowly.

Mamma - you would have been 89 today. I am hazarding a guess that you would be very proud of your grandkids even as they meditate to The Big Oreo.  And thankful that I finally "settled down" with Jo :) On this International Women's Day,  I wish you a happy birthday and hope that Vivian Bina carries forward the family tradition of beautiful strong smart loving big-hearted women.

No comments: