Growing up, we listened to some strange music in Hyderabad in the late 70's. Here's a youtube link to a song called Ma Baker by a group named Boney M. Of course this was before MTV and back then India had a couple of really boring government TV channels and so I didn't see the videos associated with the music till much later. But here it is. If you loved it and want more, there's Boney M's biggest hit - Rasputin.
But this isn't about BoneyM or their Ma Baker. It's about ours. Jo bakes a few times each year, which is a few times more than me. I think she would like to bake more, especially if it didn't involve eggs. Most of the time her creations are great and Vivian and Evan have a wonderful time helping her.
Last week, her Christmas cookies and gingerbread men appeared to be certifiable Pinterest fails, but the kids still enjoyed eating the cookies and Vivian was upset when she found out that Jo had tossed the amputated remains of the giant ginger man in the trash. Jo took our gentle joking as criticism. So yesterday when she got down to it again and popped the makings of an eggless banana bread into the oven, we were all smiles and cheers and encouragement. Then she opened the oven door a bit later and said "Oh". I took that to mean that she was surprised at what she found in the oven, but I bit down on my initial instinct to make a smart ass comment. In fact I was committed to taking a nice slice of whatever came out of that oven and expressing my hearty compliments to the chef.
So we were all pleasantly surprised, hugely relieved, and quite greedy when a perfect banana bread emerged. I had to stop after three helpings and tell the kids to do the same.
Jo - your baking rocks!
But this isn't about BoneyM or their Ma Baker. It's about ours. Jo bakes a few times each year, which is a few times more than me. I think she would like to bake more, especially if it didn't involve eggs. Most of the time her creations are great and Vivian and Evan have a wonderful time helping her.
Last week, her Christmas cookies and gingerbread men appeared to be certifiable Pinterest fails, but the kids still enjoyed eating the cookies and Vivian was upset when she found out that Jo had tossed the amputated remains of the giant ginger man in the trash. Jo took our gentle joking as criticism. So yesterday when she got down to it again and popped the makings of an eggless banana bread into the oven, we were all smiles and cheers and encouragement. Then she opened the oven door a bit later and said "Oh". I took that to mean that she was surprised at what she found in the oven, but I bit down on my initial instinct to make a smart ass comment. In fact I was committed to taking a nice slice of whatever came out of that oven and expressing my hearty compliments to the chef.
So we were all pleasantly surprised, hugely relieved, and quite greedy when a perfect banana bread emerged. I had to stop after three helpings and tell the kids to do the same.
Jo - your baking rocks!


No comments:
Post a Comment