Monday, January 07, 2008

All I want...two front teeth

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth,
My two front teeth, see my two front teeth.

Around Christmas time, as Vivian's singing was not yet up to snuff, Jo and I sang for her to Santa or the Tooth Fairy or Amazon, or where ever front teeth come from. We are too cheap for guaranteed delivery by Christmas Eve, so on Jan 3, her order is partially delivered ("items in this order may be shipped separately"). She is now the proud owner of an upper right incisor that's in the process of fully descending. After 10 months and three weeks of being called a toothless midget, Vivian has taken care of the toothless part.

On that same day, I wake up in the morning and tell Jo that Vivian is going to walk today. Jo tells me that my Dad and I started saying that when Vivian was three months old. I've had a lot of practice so I can finally get it right today. Vivian is standing between Jo and me. I am on the floor. She is holding Jo's hands. Then she lets go and stands by herself for a few seconds (she is getting pretty good at standing). And then she takes two steps while holding her balance. Jo and I and Vivian erupt in cheers and hugging and high-fiving. Then Vivian gives herself a huge round of applause. I give Jo the I-told-you look. She rolls her eyes. And Vivian claps her hands again.

No comments: