Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Customer Service

Vivian, Evan - the world may be a different place in a couple of decades. So it may be hard to understand the specifics of this post, but the underlying principle should still apply.

This morning I drove the old bmw to the dealership for service. Jo had made an online appointment and had asked for a free loaner car. I had received 4 confirmations and reminders over the last week. But this morning there were no loaners. My service rep tried to call and warn me of the situation but I was already there. She tried to arrange a near-by Enterprise rental to drop off a car. But they were out of cars. I took my car back and returned home. An hour wasted but not the worst thing in the world. And I was polite with the service rep at all times. But I told her that I would give this service call a big fat zero when the corporate survey takers called.

This afternoon the service rep called and asked where she can pick up my car from. I asked when? She said now. A few minutes later she showed up with a loaner and drove my car away.

That's a lot to do for a free loaner.

The service rep turned a negative experience into one that I'm writing a blog post about. It took 30 minutes of her time to do this.  Besides the convenience and customer service aspect of it, she taught me a valuable lesson on what to do when you need to set something right.

No comments: