Saturday morning Jo grabbed a protein shake and headed out a little after 7:30am. It was 55 degrees and windy. I got the kids bundled up and we were at the gym by 8am. 49 degrees, cloudy, and gusting winds. Vivian commandeered my jacket and Evan snuggled closer in is bear suit and hat with flappy ear covers. We watched Jo and her group warm up and then start the benchmark. It began to rain. Jo did great. It was a downpour by the time the kids and I got back home. 44 degrees. 8:45am.
Experts believe that children develop the power to stick with something (or be quitters) at about the age of four. So Jo's Crossfit Challenge should be a nice spot of inspiration for Vivian. During the last ten years I witnessed an occasional green bean or romaine lettuce pass Jo's lips. And then she signed up for the Crossfit Challenge. Along with huge improvements in strength and speed came an unprecedented change in eating habits. She jumped into the world of kale and broccoli and brussels sprouts and spinach and zucchini and squashes of ever color and shape and sweet potatoes and bell peppers and eggplants and other unmentionables.
The turning point came early in the eight-week challenge. We were at the Whole Foods downtown shopping for dinner. Jo picked up a bag of brussels sprouts. I told her that we already had a bag at home. She replied "just in case...".
Crossfit is a good program. Jen's a great coach. And I'd better work on my max deadlift before Jo breezes past me...




No comments:
Post a Comment