Monday, August 01, 2011

Going Away

We've been away for 3 days. Eight months and 27 days left. The scope of our trip is settling in. The plan: set up a base in Hyderabad and then travel. For nine months. And return to Austin. The primary reason is to hang with my dad for some time. Since he decided not to move to Austin we are moving to him.

Crystal and Ingrid are taking care of the house and Crazy. Jo booked us a hotel in London (the Sherlock Holmes on Baker street!) Six days there. No plans. No home in Hyd. A vague notion that we'll spend about half the time traveling to a few places in India and in south east Asia. Not put the kids in school.

Last week I cleaned out my calendar and was startled to see that it ended abruptly on Jul 28 Thu at 1:05pm. Dept  AA 2529 for DFW. That was it. Then I started helping Jo clean up the house. The furniture is still where it was. But the closets and bed side tables are empty. The pantry and fridge are clean. It's a bit of a frenzy at the end and we wouldn't have made it to the airport in time if Carol and Nicolle hadn't bailed us out. Us and four suitcases and two car seats and a stroller and sherpani. And carry-ons. Shedding everything has been great.

Evan and Vivian holding hands outside Austin airport

Evan hasn't a clue. He's going to wonder what happened when we don't return home after a week or two. He's the homey. Hates traveling, lets out a big sigh when he's back home. But so far, he's surprised us. He is doing just fine in London. Yes - I know 3 days down, 270 to go. But still...

Vivian is excited about the trip. And sad about leaving her friends and cousins and Grandma behind. But she'll skype regularly and that makes her feel better.

Jo is a nomad at heart. Staying put in Austin for 11 years wasn't easy for her. She'll miss family and friends. But then, this was her idea. And she's adjusting well. I caught her looking at real estate listings in London today. "I think we should move here when we're done in India", she said.

I like the idea. The execution is an entirely different animal. Either way, its going to be a bit of an adventure. Stay tuned for more.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Good to you posting again - I missed them!

Tim said...

Absolutely no. Nine months and home to Austin.