After a dreadful PT conference back in December and a trip to the principal's office in January, we didn't quite know what to expect. Vivian assured us that the teachers would have very nice things to say. She told us that she was looking forward to talking to her teachers. She was quite upset when I made it clear that she wasn't going to be there at the conference. "But my teachers said that I could come".
Saturday morning arrived. I was a bit worried. Jo was mightily hung over. While we waited our turn we noticed that many parents had brought their kids with them. Every child walked up shyly to us and asked where Vivian was.
When it was our turn we walked into the class and sat in front of the teachers in Lilliputian chairs. Shwana and Tanjoth teachers smiled at us. Last time they scowled.
Over the next half an hour they poured and gushed about Vivian. How smart she was. And how every "amma" (maid) and every teacher were fond of her and everyone from the neighboring classes turned out to sing happy birthday for her. And how she really got the concepts. And how she spoke so well - "But teacher, how many times should I tell you that I am tired because I have to wake up early to take care of my little brother". We hurriedly assured them that Vivian wasn't rising early and wasn't taking care of Evan.
We asked if they would fill out teacher reference letters for Vivian ( if she goes to private school in Austin). They readily agreed to. They said they would miss her and so would her friends.
We got back home. Jo told Vivian that many of her friends were at school and they were asking where she was. Vivian said "I told daddy that teacher asked me to come to school. My friends were wondering what to do without me". No problem with that ego there.
Yesterday when we were driving I mentioned to Jo that we should get the reference letters to the teachers soon "before Vivian pisses them off". From the back seat "Daddy - why do you think I'm going to piss my teachers off". Nice.
1 comment:
That is a child after my own heart!! I feel like you and Jo are raising a redhead. :o)
Post a Comment