Monday, January 21, 2013

In Memory

During the last seven days there were three events related to people we love who are no longer physically here with us.

My friend's mother passed away on January 16 back in Hyderabad. Her husband described her as "nicest most gentle person I ever knew". I saw her the last time I was in Hyd. Rest in peace, Auntie. Evan and Vivian never met her. When I told Vivian she asked if she was older than Grandpa.

That same day marked the tenth anniversary of the death of my mother. I lit a candle and placed a flower in front of my mother's photo on my dad's dresser. Later that day Vivian came and took me by my hand without saying a word and handed me a flower to place by the photo.

Two days later Jeanne and Simran and us celebrated Arjun's birthday. He would have been 50. Simran was a sweet nine year old when he died. He would be so proud of his little girl now. Vivian and Evan and Simran thankfully refused to let the gravity of the moment get to them and soon we were all a bit giddy with laughter and gelatos. Which resulted in the funniest quote of the evening "why would you sell your dead father's shoes on e-bay". Thank the stars for youth.

Arjun and Simran dancing the evening before our wedding


No comments: