Sunday, November 03, 2013

Halloween

Halloween in absolutely by far Evan's favorite holiday. He has asked us about it every day for months. All the fall and halloween related activities in Rhode Island got him even more juiced up. He knew he wanted to be a bat months ago and never wavered while Vivian went from witch to Taekwondo girl to ninja back to witch. She eventually settled on "the little girl from the movie Paranorman who was killed by people in her town because they thought she was a witch".

Halloween morning Evan woke up bright an early and got dressed as a bat and went to school. He had a parade there and then the never-ending Fall festival that Jo volunteered for all morning. Then I got him home while Jo went on to volunteer at Vivian's Fall festival for the afternoon.

Me: "Evan - it's time for your nap"
Evan: (for the hundredth time) "But when is it going to be dark so we can go trick or treat?"
Me: "After you nap. Sleep now."
Evan: "What if I don't wake up and I miss trick or treating?"
Me: "Evan - I promise I'll wake you up."
Evan: "I'm ready for my nap daddy."


When he woke up from his nap it wasn't "dark enough to go trick or treating" so he asked again another hundred times while time herself stood still. Hours later it was six! The kids got dressed and went to Amy's house to get their faces painted. I filled my gym water bottle with a wine bottle and followed. When I got there, Vivian looked scary. Amy had pained some realistic "wounds" on her and Vivian had her game face on. Evan got himself a painted set of fangs and a black bat nose. Ava was a spectacular Wonder Woman. Eleanor was Tinker Bell. And Theodore was the most adorable of them all - a very very cute lion. And we set forth in a large group.


The kids walked down six blocks, turned up one block to Ramsey and walked back. They knocked on almost every door and spent over two hours with hundreds of other children and had a great time. When we got home they got to empty their bags on the dining table and eat as much candy as they wanted. They were done in 15 minutes and went to bed tired and buzzed.


The next morning when they jumped in bed with us:

Jo: "Vivian's school has a great program where we can given them our candy and they will pack it up and send it overseas to our troops"

Vivian: "How long can we eat our candy?"
Jo: "Oh - may be another day or two and then we'll take it over"

Evan: "I don't want to give them my candy."
Jo: "Not now, Evan. You can eat it now."
Evan: "No - I don't want to give my candy to anyone forever"


No comments: