Monday, March 02, 2015

Entrepreneur

SXSW approaches. Whether you want to launch a band or a brand or just Grumpy Cat, Austin is the place for you. We'll happily be out of town during most of that week but perhaps Vivian should stay.



The other afternoon I had just walked into the house after picking up the kids from school. Jo was on her way to a mani-pedi (I feel so metrosexual just saying that) with Jen and Genny and she called. A three way conversation between Jo, Vivian and I took place:

"Becky says that Vivian has been giving Jack money"
Becky is Jack's mom. Jack is Vivian's classmate.

"Vivian - have you been giving Jack money?"
"No"
"Oh - hmmm - I don't know why Becky would say that then. Is Vivian sure?"
"Vivian, are you sure you haven't given Jack money?"
A sheepish look on her face.

"Uh - I paid him a dollar"
"For what?"
"Because he massaged people"
"What people?"
"You know - kids in my class"
"Oh - did they pay Jack or you for their massage?"
"No"
"So you paid Jack so people could get a free massage? That's not a smart business idea."
"Okay"

Later I found out the details. Vivian has dreamed up a massage empire. Jack (and others) provide massages during lunch recess. Kids will pay Vivian 2 bucks. Vivian will pay Jack one buck and keep the other. The part about Vivian paying Jack when customers hadn't paid her was clarified. "They get one free massage so they come back for more. And I can't ask Jack to work for free so I paid him out of my money".

In jest I asked if she planned a Super Bowl ad next. But once I understood I couldn't be mad or even sarcastic. I thought she should give it a shot. But Jo reasoned through it a bit more and said that unfortunately the school and parents would not approve of Vivian running her business at school. And so she would have to stop.

Perhaps she and Jack could go and set up outside the Austin Convention Center during SX.




No comments: