Sunday, December 13, 2015

Behavior

Sounds like the Clockwork Orange, but Evan needs periodic behavior modification. One afternoon Jo and I got an email from his teacher that he has been a bit too turdish. He needs to rein in his voice, try to mostly speak in turn, respect others, and listen to his teachers' instructions. We instituted a system of positive reinforcements and checks. At pick-up we'd ask his teacher how he did. If he continued to do well at home he'd get a smiley face. Smiley face tomorrow and you get ice cream. Four more smiley faces this week and you pick your treat.

He's been almost an angel. Yesterday was Saturday and because he hadn't been able to expend his turdiness during the week, he had some left over for his sister. But still, a huge improvement.


Vivian had a very interesting conversation with me the other day. She and her girl friends at school have read up about how girls change during puberty and she's pretty sure they are going through it. The boys are still "running around cluelessly", but the girls are beginning to "look at the boys differently". I think (or should I say, I hope) this is what she thinks should happen and so it must be happening, even if it actually isn't. But I loved her ability to put it all in to a conversation and to be able to reason through it.

Either way, behaviors are a-changing.  

No comments: