Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Still Sweet Evan

Last week we made an appointment with his teacher. Last month we had parent conferences, but the kids talked to us about their work and we were instructed by the school to keep it simple and encouraging. So I didn't ask the lad any hard questions.

At this appointment I asked Ms. Alejandra what Evan wasn't doing well. Where were the problems, behavioral and academic? She hesitated. Ms. Ale isn't one to hesitate. Jo and I stiffened, waiting to hear the ugly truth. Then Ms. Ale started:

"I have to apologize. I am usually prepared to answer that question. But I really don't have anything to say. Evan is doing everything really well."

This hasn't happened since the Sweet Evan parent conference at Grace Garden three years ago. Jo and I had to pick our jaws off the floor. He's got them fooled.


Evan is a set of contradictions. Emotional and serene. He can cry at the memory of a sad moment. And sit like a monk through a Taekwondo class. Brainy and irritatingly literal.  He is reading chapter books for 10 year olds but analogies and metaphors are not for him. Caring and turdy. Last week kids at his school were collecting toys to give to immigrant children in shelters. Evan wanted to take is two favorite toys. Vivian tried to get him to take something he doesn't play with anymore. In the end he compromised and took a favorite toy and another he loves but we won't let him play with (a screeching monkey in a cape - if you, dear reader, gave it to Evan, it's making another child somewhere in a shelter happy. And driving his or her parent if there is one, nuts). Poignant and funny. Today at soccer he was struck on the side of his face with the ball. He wasn't happy. Coach Pala consoled him and said he would be given the first award (in the award ceremony after the game - it was the end of the season). I said "So you got the first award?"

"No I got the second award"
"What happened?"
"Apparently Coach Pala said that to another kid too. A girl."

Every night at bed time Evan gives me a big hug. Then he reminds me that he needs to get another hug in bed. And when he hugs me and whispers in my ear "I love you Daddy", I feel the force is strong with this one.

Evan turned six today. Happy sixth kiddo.

No comments: