Thursday, November 03, 2016

Obedient Scout


That's Evan and Vivian with our dearest neighbor Robbe. The other evening we got Evan dressed and sent him and Vivian (for moral support) out to sell Overpriced Boy Scouts Popcorn.

Before hitting the street, Evan did a quick dry run with me. He stepped outside.
"Knock knock"
"Whose there?"
"Daddy - it's me - you just opened the door for me to go outside"
"Oh - a scout. How can I help you?"
"Daddy - what should I say?"
"Are you selling popcorn? I love Overpriced Boy Scouts Popcorn"
"Yes. It raises money for our pack to go camping. I like camping. And it's not that overpriced"
"Good - you are ready to knock on the neighbors"

Evan tried the sure-shot easy peasy one first. He walked across our yard and knocked on Karen's door. When the door opened we could hear Zizi in full scream inside the Valby house. We were in our house with our doors and windows shut and we could hear her. Such a cute small person - such a big sound. We looked through the windows at Vivian who was standing at the bottom of the steps of the Valby house. She turned to us and sliced her hand in front of her throat - indicating that this one was a goner. By the time we got out and walked over to tell Evan to try again at a better time, he had closed his first sale and met us with a jubilant look on his face. A true testament to neighborly love. And with confidence, he strode over to Robbe's door next.

Over the course of the next half an hour or so, Evan knocked on six other doors and closed all six sales with growing and flair and cockiness. Then it was dinner time.

Later - "Dad - one of the scout laws is to be clean. Why does a scout have to be clean?" I explained that even when economic situations afforded the ability to be clean, back in the dim dark days when Lord Baden-Powell was forming the scouting movement. people did not have much regard for being clean. Evan clearly is worried about this clean clause.

"Do you agree with all the other laws?" I asked.
"Yes. Except the one that says o-b-i-d-i-e-n-t. What does that mean?"

My turn to laugh.

No comments: