Stuff like this happens often.
Evan: "Daddy - time for a Spanish lesson. What is 'cloudy' in Spanish?"
I reply "Cloudo?"
So towards the end of the last semester, before the holidays, you can imagine my surprise when Jo and I were sitting in front of Ms. Betty, Evan's teacher. Ms. Betty was displaying Evan's write-up on an animal of his choice. At first I thought she was pointing out the poor quality of his work - a few penciled outlines of bats and even fewer scrawled words about bats. Behind her I could see National Geographic quality brochures that had been produced Evan's classmates.
In her lovely Mexican accent, Ms. Betty exclaimed, "Bato!" Outrage, laced with strands of disgust, but finishing with hints of humor. "It is 'murciélago'. Not bato. I told Evan 'Murciélago' is a beautiful word in Spanish. It contains every vowel exactly once".
So it turns out the Evan hadn't even bothered to find out the Spanish word for bats and had handed in his assignment with an "-o' added to the end "just like Daddy makes up Spanish words". Needless to say, the CEO called me in a chewed me out after that.
I expected the rest of the parent teacher conference to continue to slide downhill. So I was happy to hear that Evan is paying attention and occasionally does spend time doing detailed work when he is interested. Like the time he drew a picture of his cat (gato, not cato), and then wrote out a whole paragraph in gato font that he and his classmate made up.
May be Evan will be like his sister and enjoy drawing. Here's Vivian's anime style sketch of her entire volley ballo team including coaches.
Evan: "Daddy - time for a Spanish lesson. What is 'cloudy' in Spanish?"
I reply "Cloudo?"
So towards the end of the last semester, before the holidays, you can imagine my surprise when Jo and I were sitting in front of Ms. Betty, Evan's teacher. Ms. Betty was displaying Evan's write-up on an animal of his choice. At first I thought she was pointing out the poor quality of his work - a few penciled outlines of bats and even fewer scrawled words about bats. Behind her I could see National Geographic quality brochures that had been produced Evan's classmates.
In her lovely Mexican accent, Ms. Betty exclaimed, "Bato!" Outrage, laced with strands of disgust, but finishing with hints of humor. "It is 'murciélago'. Not bato. I told Evan 'Murciélago' is a beautiful word in Spanish. It contains every vowel exactly once".
So it turns out the Evan hadn't even bothered to find out the Spanish word for bats and had handed in his assignment with an "-o' added to the end "just like Daddy makes up Spanish words". Needless to say, the CEO called me in a chewed me out after that.
I expected the rest of the parent teacher conference to continue to slide downhill. So I was happy to hear that Evan is paying attention and occasionally does spend time doing detailed work when he is interested. Like the time he drew a picture of his cat (gato, not cato), and then wrote out a whole paragraph in gato font that he and his classmate made up.
May be Evan will be like his sister and enjoy drawing. Here's Vivian's anime style sketch of her entire volley ballo team including coaches.



No comments:
Post a Comment