Last Friday after school we picked the kids up and drove to the airport. A few hours later we were on Interstate 4 in a Silvercar rental approaching a fake volcano belching fake fog floodlit in neon blue. Evan said it was the best thing he had ever seen at about the same instant that Jo's google maps announced that we were at our destination - Universal Studios. If someone had asked me Universal or Disney, after thinking it over I'd say Universal. If the options had been Universal or waterboarding, I wouldn't need to think.
After a hurried breakfast the next morning surrounded by hundreds of kids, many of them seemingly in adult bodies, Jo and Vicky took Vivian, Lily, Anna and Evan to see the child wizard while I escaped to Praveen's home. Here they pose with $50 wands outside Olivanders in Diagon Alley (when Jo asked the Universal person why the wands cost so much, she said "because they do magic").
After a relaxed day of drinking wine and chatting, I returned to meet my fam at the hotel pool. The next morning we bid our Baltimore friends good bye and met Praveen and Renuka for a slow brunch before heading off to the airport and back to Austin.
If you are going to have to endure Disney or Universal, it's best in small doses. It's even better when you don't actually have to accompany them into the properties. To quote my not-least-favorite-president-anymore, "Mission accomplished".



No comments:
Post a Comment