Jo is almost an adult. She celebrated a milestone birthday this year. I had imagined a blowout party in my head. But Jo has a simple question when you tell her you are inviting someone to something, anything. "Why?" Coming from the why-not school, I have found it difficult to formulate a suitable non-trivial answer. So I froze and didn't plan much of anything in the end.
The evening before, on the way back from Vivian's school, we stopped at the florist and Vivian selected a bunch of white peonies and very light pink roses. On the morning of the birthday, we sang happy birthday while Jo blew out the candles on an eggless chocolate cake that we ate for breakfast.
Jo took the kids to school while I took a cooler with fixings for mimosas for when Jo and her friends would be at the gym. Here's a photo Jen posted on Instagram that morning.
After the gym, Jo's Grace Garden friends met her for a mani-pedi and I joined them for lunch. And that was it. Then I left to pick Evan up from school and take him to his soccer practice before the weekend's tournament scheduled to start the next evening.
We met back at home for a quick dinner and left for Vivian's volleyball game. They played a better team with bigger girls and won! Which was also Jo's only gift for her big birthday. Yep.
The next evening, rain forced the start of Evan's soccer tournament to Saturday - so we got a sitter and took Jen and Travis out to dinner to kinda-sorta celebrate Jo's birthday.
Happy birthday, my dear. I'm sorry. Next year I am going to do better. It might not have the cachet of a nice roundish number, but hey, it's a prime number!
The evening before, on the way back from Vivian's school, we stopped at the florist and Vivian selected a bunch of white peonies and very light pink roses. On the morning of the birthday, we sang happy birthday while Jo blew out the candles on an eggless chocolate cake that we ate for breakfast.
Jo took the kids to school while I took a cooler with fixings for mimosas for when Jo and her friends would be at the gym. Here's a photo Jen posted on Instagram that morning.
After the gym, Jo's Grace Garden friends met her for a mani-pedi and I joined them for lunch. And that was it. Then I left to pick Evan up from school and take him to his soccer practice before the weekend's tournament scheduled to start the next evening.
We met back at home for a quick dinner and left for Vivian's volleyball game. They played a better team with bigger girls and won! Which was also Jo's only gift for her big birthday. Yep.
The next evening, rain forced the start of Evan's soccer tournament to Saturday - so we got a sitter and took Jen and Travis out to dinner to kinda-sorta celebrate Jo's birthday.
Happy birthday, my dear. I'm sorry. Next year I am going to do better. It might not have the cachet of a nice roundish number, but hey, it's a prime number!




No comments:
Post a Comment