Thursday, June 28, 2018

Summer Thoughts

Happy families are all alike. Kids at sleep away camp. Wife by the pool at a hip hotel. And I am left by myself to consume liters of Mexican martinis and Topo Chicos and be be condemned to watch hours of World Cup.

Evan went to camp because his friend James-The-Gamer was going. And he will have a good time though he is the most close minded dude since Antonin Scalia. Vivian, whatever her stated motive may be, has agreed to spend three weeks surrounded by perfect strangers and without air-conditioning only because her crush is also at this camp. Here is a photograph from the camp's website this afternoon with the two of them. Considering that he wouldn't look at her when we ran into them on Sunday, she's doing OK. With her mother's single minded determination and other not-so-good decision-making genes roaring through her blood, what are we going to to with her in a couple of years, by about when the boys' hormones catch up with her's.


Jo and I are living the B.K (Before Kids) dream life. My back is seriously fucked up so I'm sleeping on the couch. And we are going out for dinner and a movie every night. Just like 2005. Last night we streamed Dead Pool on Amazon and then went to a theater to see Dead Pool 2. I had to imagine my grandmother naked to stop laughing because my back hurt so bad and laughing made my ass hurt. Before that Jo went and cut her hair short. I love whatever Jo does with her hair but she looks really hot with it like this.


While the kids are away my wife and I get to talk. Like normal people having normal conversations. Today, after the England - Belgium game, I went to say hello to her at the swimming pool at South Congress hotel. Instead of telling the kids to pick up their mess, we chatted. Is this what empty nesters look forward to? In which case I better get my thrills while I can.


Justice Kennedy retired today. The country is pretty much fucked for a couple of decades during which time laws and their interpretation will favor white male non-educated Christian fanatics. For a couple of centuries this used to be their country. It's their last gasp. The pendulum will swing back. I'll still take America over anyplace else.

No comments: