Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Ballet

Vivian has seen neighbor Ava go off to dance classes for years. She has been to see Ava perform. So this spring, she jumped at the chance to join Ballet Afrique. She picked a modern dance / jazz class. But soon after that she switched to ballet because the modern jazz class clashed with her volleyball schedule. And quickly, she remembered how much she loved ballet from when she was little. Jo and I back then used to joke that we were happy she hadn't pursued ballet because in 2010, when Vivian was 3, the movie Black Swan came out, and as much as we loved Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman, we saw the dark side of ballet.

Here's Vivian in her neon green leotard and matching tutu the night before her performance.


On May 26th (this post is making it to the blog about two and a half months late) I dropped Vivian off at the theater earlier in the day for rehearsals. Then returned with boxes of croissant sandwiches from Central Market to fuel the troupe's creative spirit. Then a third time with Evan and Jo for the start of Ballet Afrique's spring performance. And then I snuck off to B.D Riley's to watch the first half of the Champions league match between Liverpool and Real Madrid while the littler kids did their thing on stage. As I left, Jo asked - do you even know if they will be showing this game of yours on TV at the pub? Here is a picture of what I saw as I approached Riley's on foot, from the direction of Alamo towards the Thinkery. The bouncer laughed and said that it was unlikely that they'd be letting any one else in but gave me the name of another place down the block that wasn't yet full. So there Jo, other people also watch this "game of mine".


I snuck back into the auditorium after the first half and a few beers, well in time for Vivian's sixty seconds on stage. It was spectacular. Ms. China, the moving spirit behind Ballet Afrique understands movement, color, and light better than any one else I know. I felt better about missing the second half of the game, even Gareth Bale's incredible bicycle kick goal.

One of those glowing dots is Vivian.


Turns out that while the football game and the dance were both suitably important, another notable event occurred earlier that day. Jo and I and many other people did Murph. No explanation needed for people who have been or still Crossfit. Jo and I did half a Murph each, while everyone else in the photo below which was taken immediately after Murph did the whole workout, Jen with a weighted vest on. We salute them because Jo and I only did a half a mile run, 50 pull-ups, 100 push-ups, 150 squats, and another half a mile run each. I felt great after the workout, vowing to return next year and attempt a three-quarter Murph with Vivian doing the remaining quarter Murph. And that was the last time I felt great. Sometime over the next week I fucked my back up and since then I've been moving like Rip Van Winkle after his nap.   


No comments: