Sunday, October 12, 2008

Calculated Kissing

The other morning, Vivian was feeling particularly affectionate. She repeatedly indicated that she wanted to give Jo and me kisses, and when we put our faces next to hers, she obliged with her special open mouth kisses.

A little bit later, I was no longer in her good graces. Vivian continued to shower Mom with kisses, but waved a dismissive hand in my direction.

And yet another few minutes later, she needed something. "Daddy outside peaz" (dad, open the door so I can go outside). I said "Give Daddy a kiss". She responded with the talk to my hand routine again. Then, just for kicks, I told her "if you give Daddy a kiss, he may consider taking you outside".

In the three short steps to the front door, Vivian showered my face with kisses.

Do women learn this stuff very early in life, or is it just hard-wired in?

No comments: