Monday, October 27, 2008

Elitist Jerks

Back in the dawn of time herself, when the Barak, Billary and Romney campaigns were still in their infancy, Newsweek published the results of a poll on what Americans would not find acceptable in a president. At that time, I found it remarkable that a gay man has a better chance of becoming the president of this straight nation than an atheist. I remember thinking - oh my god (non-religous, non-personal, just figure-of-speech god) - do they let atheists marry around here?

After a recent argument with Nicolle, when we were both some distance from sober, I was struck by another thought. The pollsters need to poll for Elitist Jerks. Would they end up even lower than athiests?

Vivian - what's the lesson? If you end up being an elitist atheist running for prez, you'd better pick a gay running mate to get a dose of popular support.

No comments: