Monday, November 30, 2009

Fuh Fuh Phonics

When Vivian sings "Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater", it's not just a nursery rhyme. Ms. Mary cleverly hid a lesson in Phonics in there. Vivian usually pauses mid sentence and says "Peter Peter - Puh - Puh".

So Jo and I have dutifully followed up. Every now and then we ask her what a word starts with and she comes up with a completely random unrelated sound unless it's Peter.

We are in India and due to some recent bouts of late night parties, Vivian's sleep times have been a bit irregular. So she's still jet lagged. This morning she woke us up at 330 am and told us to ask her what things start with. We began simple:

"Peter?" I asked.
"Puh puh Peter" she replied.

"Mommy?"
"Muh muh mommy".

Jo and I exchanged glances.

"Vivian?" I asked.
"Vah vah Vivian".

"Arun?"
"A a Arun"

Hmm - something had happened.

"Dog?".
"Duh duh dog".

I looked around the dark bedroom for inspiration.

"Picture?"
"Puh puh picture".

"Curtain?"
"Kuh kuh curtain".

"Bed?"
"Buh buh bed".

"Fan?"
"Fuh fuh fan".

You get the idea. Over the course of the next half hour we went over a majority of the words in Vivian's vocabulary and she mostly got them right.

No comments: