Thursday, December 17, 2009

What Boat?

If you look at the picture of Vivian and Narahari at the very end of the last (chronologically previous) post, and look carefully above Narahari's head, you can see a picture in the next room. It's a photograph of my mom that's resting on top of an armoire in my Dad's house. I took it the last time I saw her alive and conscious - which was a couple of years before Jo and I were married. When we got to my dad's home, I showed the picture to Vivian and explained that this was her grandma Bina after whom she got her middle name. Vivian looked up at the picture and turned around to look at Jo and me and said "Oh yes. She came to visit us on the boat".

I asked "What boat?".

As if stating the obvious, she patiently replied "When we were sailing, daddy".

So I did write in this very blog some months back "[Vivian,] between the DNA and the memories, you will surely know your Didi". Hmmm, Mama - care to explain?

No comments: