Sunday, September 12, 2010

Jesus Loves You*

Imagine you are a good christian (some of you are going to have to image pretty damn hard). Then imagine that you send your daughter to a school where they tell her every week that there is no god.

So I choose to ignore certain aspects of Vivian's otherwise very satisfactory education. Meanwhile, chapel can cause some funny moments at home.

The other day Vivian started to sing a song about Jesus. But she couldn't remember all the words. Jo looked up the song on the internet and played back a rather gospel-ish version. Vivian enjoyed it and we joked that she might raise a few eyebrows in chapel if she burst forth in tune the next time. Then Vivian ran around the house singing the song for a while. I was in the kitchen with Evan when she again forgot some words. "Daddy - what are the words after such-and-such?"

I admitted that I didn't know. She asked why I didn't remember it from church when I was a kid. As plainly as I could, I told her that I didn't go to church as a kid or an adult.

She chewed on that for a moment then raised her voice so that Jo in the other room would be able to hear. "Mommy - we need to teach Daddy the song because he didn't learn it when he was little."

Evan and I chuckled.

*I can't remember the words of the song or what it was called, but these three words were frequently enough mentioned in the lyrics to be able to stand in for the title.

No comments: