I was in the kitchen and Vivian and Devyn were quietly playing in the play room. Vivian was cutting paper with her crinkle-cut scissors. Suddenly I hear her say "Oh Shit!".
Me: "Vivian - what did you say?"
Vivian: "Nothing."
Me: "Sounded like something."
Vivian: "I said Oh Man."
Me: "Really? Didn't sound like that at all."
Vivian: [eye roll] "OK Daddy - I said it."
Me: "Why?"
Vivian: "I don't know."
Me: "Who did you learn it from?"
Vivian: "Mommy and Grandma and Aunt Colle. You say it sometimes Daddy."
[and she blames a certain cousin who will remain un-named]
Me: "We are grown-ups. It's a grown-up word."
Then I think about it a bit. And add "If you must use it, make sure there are no grown-ups around".
"Oh shit" was Vivian's first recognizable words (She Speaks 05/2008). I cursed like a sailor when I was a kid - I just didn't do it in front of my parents or teachers or other grown-ups of consequence. I'd prefer that Vivian and Evan learn what to say when, where and to whom rather than pretend that certain words are censored.
1 comment:
fantastic!
Post a Comment