Sunday, October 31, 2010

Have I had Dinner Today?

Vivian enjoys playing with Caroline on our date nights and stays up till God knows when. But last week we had two date nights (on Saturday we celebrated our anniversary with a trip to the Austin Film Festival, thanks to Karen, Kalimba, and Nate). So, for a change, Jo suggested that on the Thursday date night, we leave Evan with Caroline and take Vivian with us for a "grown-up dinner". We went to Vivo's and Vivian ordered a very nice virgin daiquiri and was a charming dinner companion.

So when Thursday rolled around again, Vivian was surprised to hear Jo say something to me about Caroline taking care of Vivian and Evan. She stopped the conversation with "Wait a minute!". We patiently explained (again) that the last Thursday had been a special treat, and that date nights were for just Daddy and Mommy.

At the appointed hour, Caroline was in the living room with the kids and Jo was already standing out on the front porch. I was about to wish them good bye and step out myself when I heard Vivian say in a small voice "Daddy"?

I had a couple of lines on the tip of my tongue. "You know what we told you about Date Night. Now can you be a Big Girl and take care of Evan and Caroline?" But before I could, Vivian continued "Have I had dinner today?"

Ouch.


No comments: