Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sixer

Vivian and Evan,

Your mother and I were married six years ago today. She's put up with me for six years ("and more" as she reminded me this morning). Like in cricket so in life, a sixer is a pretty darn exciting. Not the pinnacle or the end. But a great way to get started on a half century and more.

The deal was cemented the day before Valentine's Day earlier that year. I persuaded Jo to go with me to beautiful Cibolo Creek Ranch located between Marfa and Presidio for a "vacation". We took the Texas Eagle / Sunset Limited combo and landed in Alpine where the rental agent met us at the Amtrak Station with our car. By the time I turned off Highway 67, it was so dark and empty that Jo thought I was out of my mind. We were the only inhabitants of the ranch that night - they left the front door open for us.

The next morning the desert was an amazing sight. During the night an ice storm had come through and covered the cacti and desert scrub with a layer of ice. In the morning, there was thick fog everywhere. Between the fog and the ice it looked like someone had painted the desert white. Jo and I took a walk to a small valley where a spring bubbled out of the desert. By the time we got there, the sun was beginning to poke through the fog and the ice on the leafless trees sparkled like diamonds. I got down on one knee and fumbled around in my pockets. I asked your mother and she said yes and I slipped the ring on her finger. She made a comment that Hell or at least Big Bend had to freeze over before the two of us agreed to be married. And it wasn't until a few days later that Grandma Carol told us that I had put the ring on Jo's wrong hand.

Anyway Vivian, about eight months after that we were married and about two and half years later you came along. And almost three years after that Evan joined us. I'll save the story of how I found the right ring for another anniversary.

I never thought I would ever be married. That's because I couldn't imagine waking up next to the same person for the rest of my life. And now I can't imagine not waking up next to Jo every morning. And thanks to you Evan, a couple more times every night. Dearest Jo - thanks for everything and looking forward to many many more happy anniversaries.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! :o)