Dawson according to the 2000 census had 209 people. By the 2010 census that had dropped to 146. The school where some of Jo's cousins went closed more than a decade ago. Thirteen of us are adding considerable heft to the town. And it's diversity.
But while there's plenty of enthusiasm and one can hear the occasional firework since we got into town late on July 2, there is no town or community 4th of July celebration. So we drove to Humboldt with Uncle Tom and his family to see the fireworks. We settled down on the sidewalk on Nemaha Street across from the ballpark with blankets and towels and bug spray and waited for it to get dark. Evan wanted to climb on my shoulders with the last of his energy - he was ready to sleep. And Vivian hung out and sounded grown-up with her older cousins. Cousin Amy was prepared as usual and slipped me a couple of cold ones to put me in the patriotic spirit.
When the fireworks started and I looked up I noticed that the street lamps on Nemaha were decorated with flags. And I could sit where I was on the sidewalk on a blanket and watch the fireworks explode several hundred feet up in the air directly behind the flag fluttering over my head. So I turned into a ninja Japanese tourist and spent the rest of the evening looking at life through the screen of my iPhone. I took a few hundred photos, most of which were duds - but I liked this one. Happy Fourth, y'all.
But while there's plenty of enthusiasm and one can hear the occasional firework since we got into town late on July 2, there is no town or community 4th of July celebration. So we drove to Humboldt with Uncle Tom and his family to see the fireworks. We settled down on the sidewalk on Nemaha Street across from the ballpark with blankets and towels and bug spray and waited for it to get dark. Evan wanted to climb on my shoulders with the last of his energy - he was ready to sleep. And Vivian hung out and sounded grown-up with her older cousins. Cousin Amy was prepared as usual and slipped me a couple of cold ones to put me in the patriotic spirit.
When the fireworks started and I looked up I noticed that the street lamps on Nemaha were decorated with flags. And I could sit where I was on the sidewalk on a blanket and watch the fireworks explode several hundred feet up in the air directly behind the flag fluttering over my head. So I turned into a ninja Japanese tourist and spent the rest of the evening looking at life through the screen of my iPhone. I took a few hundred photos, most of which were duds - but I liked this one. Happy Fourth, y'all.

No comments:
Post a Comment