When you cross into Nebraska - which one seems to do several times a day, you pass a welcome sign that says "Nebraska...the good life".
The corn fields are very green. The tassels wave in the wind and the ears tucked away below get fatter by the day. When it's cooler it's hard not to be outdoors. Brain took me to their vegetable patch and we picked tomatoes, radishes, onions, peppers and squash and I ate them later that day.
One evening Nicolle and I ditched our wives and kids and joined Uncle Tom's family for a wine tasting. His friend Dennis has been dropping off bottles of home made wine into Tom's truck every time he is up at the farm and I have already sampled three of four types. But at the "tasting" we drink a whole cooler filled with wine bottles. Cherry, strawberry, rhubarb, elderberry, cranberry, Texas Muscadine, regular grapes, and others. This wine has no resemblance to that dry oaky full bodied Cabernet that Jen and I favor but it is legitimately wine. It's like drinking liquid jams and jellies of the smoothest yummiest flavors and it goes down really well slightly chilled.
The kids - all eight of them - play a couple of times a day at the sad little park four blocks down Ridge Street which is also Highway 75 and is a major thoroughfare for trucks. Cade manages to get almost every one of them to honk for him - so we can tell how far the kids are from the house by the loudness of the honks.
There is no internet or cable at the house. Our phones barely work. So, like the kids, we a forced to chat, read, slow down, and spend time with each other.
The good life.
The corn fields are very green. The tassels wave in the wind and the ears tucked away below get fatter by the day. When it's cooler it's hard not to be outdoors. Brain took me to their vegetable patch and we picked tomatoes, radishes, onions, peppers and squash and I ate them later that day.
One evening Nicolle and I ditched our wives and kids and joined Uncle Tom's family for a wine tasting. His friend Dennis has been dropping off bottles of home made wine into Tom's truck every time he is up at the farm and I have already sampled three of four types. But at the "tasting" we drink a whole cooler filled with wine bottles. Cherry, strawberry, rhubarb, elderberry, cranberry, Texas Muscadine, regular grapes, and others. This wine has no resemblance to that dry oaky full bodied Cabernet that Jen and I favor but it is legitimately wine. It's like drinking liquid jams and jellies of the smoothest yummiest flavors and it goes down really well slightly chilled.
There is no internet or cable at the house. Our phones barely work. So, like the kids, we a forced to chat, read, slow down, and spend time with each other.
The good life.


No comments:
Post a Comment