Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Dancing Queen

Twenty years ago I wouldn’t have admitted that I was an Abba fan growing up. But when in Stockholm, you visit the Abba museum. There was a lot of memorabilia - like the helicopter from the Arrival album cover, their original studio equipment, the white piano, major footage of their 1974 Eurovision breakthrough with Waterloo, shelves full of gold albums from all over the world, etc.  





But the museum was also surprisingly interactive. Evan mixed tracks to reproduce the classic Abba sound, Vivian auditioned to be the fifth member of the band, and more. I had the newest Abba LPs when I was 15 - my Dad used to travel to Sweden for work and he would get Alu and me the Swedish releases before the LPs were available anywhere else. Vivian has learned many of the songs when she was in Mama Mia this spring. And poor Jo and Evan have gained a good working knowledge of Abba by osmosis from being around Vivian and me. Yes - many decades later some of the songs have a vaguely pedophiliac ring to them - but thank you for the music, Agnetha, Anni-Frid, Björn, and Benny.

No comments: