Remember the Pokémon Go craze? May be it's still on going but I don't see children in parks muttering to themselves and staring at phones and walking around in circles anymore like I did a month ago.
We never did download the game on our phones. Lazy luddites. Aunt Cole walked into the White Wooden House one day and found a Pokémon hovering in our kitchen island and let Evan throw a Poké Ball at it and capture it. That's the closest either he or Vivian have come to playing it. But many of their friends had some serious playing experience by the time school started.
Evan hasn't owned a deck of Pokémon cards either. He has occasionally received a card or two from a friend at school. But he watches the show on Netflix (in Spanish when we can help it) and has learned up about all the creatures. He knows them, their powers, where they live, how they perform against other species, their evolutionary trees, and loads of other shit that are just a jumble of words to me.
So I wasn't surprised when a parent stopped me at school around the first week and said that Evan must play a lot of Pokémon. Why - I asked. Because my son says he is an expert, he replied. The other kids act like they know a lot, he continued. But everyone can tell when they are bullshitting, while they know that Evan is really an expert.
I'm glad he's using his brain cells for something. Our routine at pick-up every afternoon:
Me: "Evan - how was school?"
Evan: "Good..."
Me: "What did you learn?"
Evan: "Nothing"
Me: "Whew - I'm glad. I was scared the teachers may have tried to teach you something"
Evan: "No Daddy. They didn't teach me anything"



No comments:
Post a Comment