Grace turned 13 last week. Evan and Vivian have six cousins in New Braunfels - so there's a birthday on an average of every two months. But this one rocked the adults. I think we were all thinking the same thing. Time is galloping through the fields of our lives - completely wild and unchecked.
Grace was the baby. She was three months old when the kids came to live with Nicolle and Michelle. Kai was comparatively an adult at almost two. I wasn't into babies back then. But Grace radiated calm and happiness and grace and a deep deep sense of destiny.
She was everyone's little baby. Her older siblings treated her like royalty. She didn't crawl or speak very much because she didn't have to. She'd look at someone and point to something and they'd bring it to her. Everyone carried her everywhere. And Grace just smiled and that was all the reward anyone ever needed.
So it's a bit of a shock that Grace is suddenly 13. How on earth did that happen? What was I doing while that happened? Am I thirteen years older too? Simple questions with incomprehensible answers.
Grace has grown into a wonderful person. Sometimes it takes some work to coax her old smile out from behind a full-blown teenage scowl. But when it arrives it is worth the effort and all is right in the world again.

No comments:
Post a Comment