This year I read a book where the author conveyed the essence of the book in six words printed on the front cover. This inspired me to re-think the 2009 Christmas Letter in 16 words:
"Vivian talks a lot. Travels well. Loves school. Likes people especially boys. Wants sister. Merry Christmas."
-arun
ps. details follow....
At the end of 2008, Vivian could say things like "Mommy neck'ace". By the middle of this year, she was telling a sales woman at Tiffany's "I'd like to see some diamond necklaces". In February she recited Twinkle Twinkle, which remained her favorite song till Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater edged it out in Fall. By March she could sing the alphabet song. In May she pretended to read me a story from Newsweek:
"Daddy I read you a story. One upon a time there was a clock. And one upon a time daddy went to sleep. And mommy went to sleep. And I went to sleep. And then the clock woke everybody up."
Now she says things like "Mommy - is it appropriate to talk here?" after leaving the library, and "Daddy - can I have some privacy please" when she is in the bathroom, and "Let's do a sensory walk" after coming home from school one day. She listens intently when Jo and I talk to each other, and if she doesn't understand, she usually asks. In so many ways, it feels like we are living with an adult.
2009 was Vivian's year to stimulate the travel industry. Vivian visited friends and family in Savannah, Florida, Houston, New Orleans, Arizona, Nebraska, Rhode Island, Philadelphia, New York city, the British and American Virgin Islands, Hyderabad, Delhi, and several other places that she transited through or visited on day trips. She understands trains, planes, rental cars, ferries, sail boats, taxi cabs, subways, buses, pilots, passports, tickets, and airports like a pro. Ask for a security check and Vivian will frisk you and pat you down.
She spent a week on a 43 foot sailboat among the lovely islands and beaches of the Caribbean and enjoyed every moment of it. And she flew for about 25 hours to India and 36 from, with a smile on her face that charmed even the most hardened flight attendants on three continents. I wish Jo and I traveled as well.
In September Vivian started "school" which opened up a whole new world of friends and teachers and amazing stuff to learn. The week before Halloween, they walked bare footed on various things like soapy water and pumpkin insides and hence the comment back at home about a "sensory walk". Soon after that, Vivian blew us all away with her rendition of "Peter Peter". And yesterday she brought tears to her Aunt Cole's eyes when she sang "Go, Tell it on the Mountain". Vivian enjoyed school so much that she'd kiss the front doors on her way in.
After she started school, she couldn't stop talking about her teacher, Ms. Mary (who is some kind of a saint - really). One day we sat down for dinner and Vivian sang "Ms. Mary had a little lamb". Then she asked what we were having for dinner. Hesitantly I replied "lamb stew" and held my breath. Vivian thought for a second and then resumed singing: "Ms. Mary had a little lamb; Daddy had a little lamb stew."
It's not that Jo or I are social hermits. But compared to Vivian we are. Vivian loves her cousins and uncles and aunts and grandma and grandpa and friends and neighbors and teachers. And she hasn't met a stranger who isn't a friend.
When we were sight-seeing in India, Vivian was mobbed by a crowd of about a hundred 12-year old school girls. They wanted to say hello and hi and touch her face and shake her hand. I guess they wanted to do it because she looked different but not different enough and she smiled and looked friendly. She took it well and handled it like a celebrity on tour. By the time we left India, Vivian had a long list of people that she was going to take back with her to America.
My school and college friends have older kids. Vivian has met several of them and adores them. Especially the boys. When she was with two 14-year olds during one trip, she'd wake up in the morning and ask "where are my boys?" During our sailing trip, one morning she announced "Daddy - I am going to marry the boys" - referring to the 30-somethings on the other boat. When I pressed for more information and didn't seem on board, she said "just a pretend marriage, Dad". And recently, Jo found her she staring in wonder at my friend's 18-year old son and saying "What a guy". Since Vivian was a baby, strangers have warned me with "Dad - she's going to be trouble" or "buy a shotgun". But this is a bit sooner than I had anticipated.
One morning in September at Dr Z's office (Jo's OB/Gyn) Vivian summarized the situation as follows: "Doctor - my mommy has a baby in her belly and it's getting bigger and bigger and I'm going to be a big sister". Since then, she has come to the firm conclusion that she's going to have a little sister. This time again we aren't finding out the gender of the baby. But Vivian acts like she knows. When I asked her if she would love him if she had a little brother, Vivian responded with "Yes. BUT we're not having a little brother. We're having a little sister."
The other day I was worrying about the world when Vivian said "Don't freak out, buddy". No reason to. 2009 has been a very good year on Planet Vivian. JoEllen, Vivian, and I wish you a very merry Christmas and a very happy 2010.
2 comments:
Love Vivian, and I love this blog! Merry Christmas, thanks for sharing.
Oh Vivian--This holiday season one of the things I am very grateful for is your sunshine. Your parents are pretty great too.
When Tim looks worried about the state of the world I'm going to take a cue from my friend next door and say 'Don't freak out buddy!'
xo
Post a Comment