I love Vivian's infectious chattiness - it starts the moment she opens her bedroom door in the morning and continues till we kiss her goodnight and turn out the lights. Tonight she called me back four times after I had kissed her goodnight with "Daddy - I have to tell you something". If she's awake, she's talking or singing or humming. The other morning, she tried to bribe Jo with a necklace so that Vivian could play mommy and Jo would be the baby: "I'm gonna be the Mommy. And I'm gonna give you one of my necklaces if you cooperate. Are you cooperated?". And she tried to correct her cousin who has a hard time with two V's and calls Vivian "Divian". Vivian said: "It's Vivian - with a V. V for Vah Vah Vivian. Not Dah". I'd be worried if Vivian was quiet for more than a few minutes.
Back to our quiet dinner. This could be one of our last before Jo pops the baby. The last time we were in a similar position was three years and a few months ago. At that time I was staring down the unknown precipice of parenthood. Parenting is at once the most miraculous and the most banal. It is a unique experience for each of us, and it has or will happen to most of the six billion humans on this planet.
Back to our quiet dinner. This could be one of our last before Jo pops the baby. The last time we were in a similar position was three years and a few months ago. At that time I was staring down the unknown precipice of parenthood. Parenting is at once the most miraculous and the most banal. It is a unique experience for each of us, and it has or will happen to most of the six billion humans on this planet.
The last time around it changed my life. Fully and completely. Yes - I still play soccer and go on ski trips. But everything that happens in between is different. So Vivian - what is it like to be your Dad?
It's fulfilling. I don't believe in manifest destiny or that an omnipotent being of suspicious origin put me on this earth to do his work. Jo and I had a nice life before Vivian. But now it seems more purposeful.
It's interesting. Thankfully I'm not a big fan of order and repetition. Parenting is full of surprises.
It's rewarding. This is a simple reflection of humanity's (or my) need to be needed. There are very few things that come close to how good it feels when Vivian climbs up and throws her arms around my neck.
It's maturing. I believe I am a lot more patient and humble now than I was three years ago.
It's tiring. It's not what you do (and I don't - as I'm sure Jo will agree). It is a state of mind. And it's a one-way trip down that rabbit-hole.
In short, Vivian - you're a keeper. I wonder what your little sibling will be like.
No comments:
Post a Comment