Monday, April 11, 2011

Schlotzsky's

Here's a line: "She buckled the kids into their car seats and then walked away from us in the parking lot. Just like that and we never saw her again."

We were headed back from another quick trip to Lariat Ridge - if there's any such thing as a quick four-hour round trip. Tracy has almost finished work on the new deck and it's so much easier to discuss details on the phone when I can see what he's talking about. So we've been driving from Austin to Canyon Lake a couple of times a week.

On the way back on this particular trip, we decided to stop at the Schlotzsky's in New Braunfels. Evan ate all his chicken noodle soup and then started throwing everything on the floor - his usual sign that he's done eating. Vivian ate the tiniest bit of turkey in 30 minutes and fussed. Jo and I were tired. The kids were cranky.

We loaded the kids into the car. Jo buckled them in. I got in the driver's seat. And then I saw Jo walking away from the car. I said "Hey!". She didn't bother turning to look. Just a dismissive backward wave of her hand. That's when the line flashed through my mind.

Turns out that Jo was tossing something in the trash. She walked back to the car and I told her about my line. She drily commented: "Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind".

Kids - it's time to be extra nice to Mommy.

No comments: