Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cliff Jumping

I was getting Vivian ready for her last dance class (parent observation day). She was dressed in her ballet clothes and wanted me to pack her regular clothes in the dance bag so she could change into them after class.

Vivian: "Daddy - can you take my clothes in the bag?"
Me: "Why? Don't you usually come home and change?"
Vivian: "I want to change at dance class"
Me: "Why?"
Vivian: "Because my friends change at dance class?"
Me: "Why? What's wrong with changing when you get home?"
Vivian: "Nothing. But my friends change at dance class."
Me: "OK. But would you jump off a cliff if your friend jumped off a cliff?"
Vivian: "No."

Silence for about 30 seconds. Then,

Vivian: "Why would my friends jump off a cliff?"
Me: "No - they wouldn't. I'll take the clothes".
Vivian: "But why did you say they would jump off a cliff?"
Me: "Your friends probably wouldn't. But people do. No. Don't worry, I've taken your clothes."
Vivian: "Daddy - you are silly."

No comments: