Sunday, February 10, 2013

Blog Turns Six

Last month this blog turned six years old with over a thousand posts and a respectable readership. Besides remaining married and being a father it's unusual for me to stick with anything. And I have for three reasons. Vivian, Evan, and you. So thanks for sticking by the blog. Here's the  text of my first real post.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What's in a Name?

That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

--Bill

Bill is credited with penning the above in 1593 - that's about 10-12 years after the birth of his first child. He'd forgotten what's in a name by then.

Jo and I are ready for the kid - about as ready as we have ever been for anything, though everyone tells us you can never be truly ready. Except that we don't have a name. It all started a few months ago when it became apparent that a name would be required. We knew we weren't good at doing this (we named one of our cat's "Crazy" because she was, but mostly because we couldn't come up with a name).

Jo would suggest names that popped into her head as we drove along the scenic road to the Hill Country. Stony silence. Then we borrowed name books from Laura and tried those. Still nothing. Finally, last Sunday, Jo and I agreed to meet in a week with a list of Top 10 names. I crammed the book of names till the wee hours. A few weak scribbles. I'd see Jo pour over her Mac and I could tell she was working on names. Sunday night came around, and we compared lists after dinner at Satay with the Shah's. Nothing.

Not even on the same planet. I only got to "K", so I have an over-abundance of names starting with that letter (Kane, Kavi, Kabir, Kedar, Kell, etc...), and the name we are looking for may be just around the corner in "L". By this point, I expected a certain amount of a feeling of accomplishment - of feeling that we were getting closer - proportional to the amount to alphabet we have covered. But that's simply not the case. Gaah.

If kiddo comes on time, we have room for three more Sunday lists. If he/she is early, we are even further up the creek. And there seem to be no paddles in sight. Keep an eye on this space - something is bound to happen...

The problem appears to be cultural. In a world of cliched cultural problems, I try to keep mine to a minimum. Jo and I come from physical worlds thousands of miles apart. But we don't feel it. We think similar thoughts about a bunch of important things. We don't have a huge cultural divide. We never have arguments that end in cultural punting. But not so with names.

I don't need the kid to have an Indian name. But I do want the kid's name to mean something. In my list, each name is neatly annotated with it's origin and meaning (my favorite is Kane - "beautiful" in Welsh, "golden" in Japanese, and "eastern sky" in Hawaiian - wow!). Jo's names have to sound right. She really doesn't care a hoot what a name means. All we need is a name that sounds right and means something deep.

My first cat was named "Socrates" - after the famed Brazilian midfielder, natrually. I wonder where this quest will end up.

No comments: