Friday, May 16, 2014

Why Evan Wants To Be A Chef

Yesterday Evan and I were walking down the aisles at Central Market hunting down dinner for the kids (Jo and I had a date night).

Evan: "Daddy - how do you make a cell phone?"
Me: "It's pretty complicated. It's a tiny powerful computer and a phone"
Evan: "So there are computer parts?"
Me: "Yes"
Evan: "And there are phone parts - like radios?"
Me: "Yes"
Evan: "Who builds them?"
Me: "Mostly cheap labor in factories in China"
Evan: "If they are complicated how do they know what parts to put in them?"
Me: "There follow a design. The cell phones are designed by engineers"
Evan: "What kind of engineers?"
Me: "Lots of different kinds - but mostly electrical engineers. Like me"
Evan: "Daddy - you're not an engineer?!"
Me: "Yes - I am"
Evan: "When I grow up I'm going to be a chef - like you"
Me: "Evan - I cook dinner at home. I'm not a chef. I'm an engineer"
Evan: "I'm going to be a chef and I'm going to have a restaurant"
Me: "But..."
Evan: "And Olie is going to be a race car driver and he's going to come to eat at my restaurant"
Me: "That's good but..."
Evan: "And Nolan is going to be an astronaut"
Me: "You don't want to be an astronaut?"
Evan: "No. You have to go to college for many years to learn how to fly a space ship. I want to do something that doesn't take a lot of work"

Well, there you have it. Honest and straightforward. While I may be grumpy about paying for private school, it's nice to know that Evan's college fund is going to be unspent.

As for the rest of the evening, while Scarlett Johansson is mostly naked in "Under the Skin", it wasn't a good date night movie. 

No comments: