Dear Vivian and Evan,
32 in hex. L in roman. Not impressive.
But 50 conjures up images of rectal exams and AARP (my card showed up last week, no word on the exam - yet). I was at a party a few weeks ago. This guy was turning 40. "ITs all over, isn't it?", he asked.
Yesterday evening you and your cousins called me. I went and found y'all outside the front door with carefully made and decorated mud pies. You wished me a very happy early birthday. The smiles on your happy faces will keep me going for another 50 (or 5 or whatever).
I woke up this morning in a tent (itself about 25 years old) with the two of you. We were camping in Grandma's back yard. Vivian woke up and she and I whispered for a while till Evan jumped up with a start and asked where the Ninja turtles were. It was still dark outside. I told him he was dreaming. He went back to sleep for a few more minutes. Then we read Harry Potter till the it was almost sunrise and we wandered back to the house.
A little bit later we drove down to Sweeties in town for our customary Sunday morning breakfast of donuts and kolaches. I spent the rest of the morning puttering with a chainsaw. Vivian did some homework. Evan pretended to do homework. Then y'all played outside. Mommy and Grandma looked crossly at a medicare web site.
We drove back to Austin in time for a bubble bath for y'all, a hurried lunch and a trip to the Scottish Rite Theater's production of "Bunnicula" - a story about a Dracula themed bunny. Vivian sat up front with the other kids on the carpet and laughed the loudest (and often the only one). Evan sat on Jo and had his hands over his eyes or very close by in case he should need them suddenly. After the show Vivian went up to the stage and got her program autographed and met the actors. Evan stayed close to Jo.
In the evening we went and got dinner at China Cafe. Then another short bout of Potter and then you hit the sack. And that's what I did on the last day of my 40's. About as tame as can be. And about as much fun.
There's no denying that more of my life is over than is left. That's not a bad thing in itself. Gerhard's favorite quote about living too long was "Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben" (Dogs, would you live forever). There is something to be said about quality over quantity. Specially in this regard.
32 in hex. L in roman. Not impressive.
But 50 conjures up images of rectal exams and AARP (my card showed up last week, no word on the exam - yet). I was at a party a few weeks ago. This guy was turning 40. "ITs all over, isn't it?", he asked.
Yesterday evening you and your cousins called me. I went and found y'all outside the front door with carefully made and decorated mud pies. You wished me a very happy early birthday. The smiles on your happy faces will keep me going for another 50 (or 5 or whatever).
I woke up this morning in a tent (itself about 25 years old) with the two of you. We were camping in Grandma's back yard. Vivian woke up and she and I whispered for a while till Evan jumped up with a start and asked where the Ninja turtles were. It was still dark outside. I told him he was dreaming. He went back to sleep for a few more minutes. Then we read Harry Potter till the it was almost sunrise and we wandered back to the house.
A little bit later we drove down to Sweeties in town for our customary Sunday morning breakfast of donuts and kolaches. I spent the rest of the morning puttering with a chainsaw. Vivian did some homework. Evan pretended to do homework. Then y'all played outside. Mommy and Grandma looked crossly at a medicare web site.
We drove back to Austin in time for a bubble bath for y'all, a hurried lunch and a trip to the Scottish Rite Theater's production of "Bunnicula" - a story about a Dracula themed bunny. Vivian sat up front with the other kids on the carpet and laughed the loudest (and often the only one). Evan sat on Jo and had his hands over his eyes or very close by in case he should need them suddenly. After the show Vivian went up to the stage and got her program autographed and met the actors. Evan stayed close to Jo.
In the evening we went and got dinner at China Cafe. Then another short bout of Potter and then you hit the sack. And that's what I did on the last day of my 40's. About as tame as can be. And about as much fun.
There's no denying that more of my life is over than is left. That's not a bad thing in itself. Gerhard's favorite quote about living too long was "Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben" (Dogs, would you live forever). There is something to be said about quality over quantity. Specially in this regard.
And thanks to the people around me, mine has been excellent. I wouldn't re-live these years any other way. And in the end (or the beginning or the middle or anywhere else) time is what we have, and yet we never know how much or how little of it is left. Spend it so you don't regret it and that will make you happier than any thing else.
The Big Fifty is a state of mind (isn't everything?). You are as old as you feel. Love. Laugh. Don't take things seriously. Specially not yourself.
your Dad
Oct 5 2014
(That's a picture of me when I was just shy of three. Snappy shoes).
The Big Fifty is a state of mind (isn't everything?). You are as old as you feel. Love. Laugh. Don't take things seriously. Specially not yourself.
your Dad
Oct 5 2014
(That's a picture of me when I was just shy of three. Snappy shoes).




No comments:
Post a Comment