At 4pm on Thursday, instead of Jo's car, Carol's truck pulled up into the driveway. Two kids, three dogs, Carol and Jo tumbled out. "Get dressed" Jo said and I saw her zip up an overnight bag. We drove downtown and I found that Jo had booked us into the W for a day. Twenty four hours of doing nothing. Champagne and strawberries on the balcony with the setting sun (and soaring cranes). A nap after breakfast next morning. A stroll along the new boardwalks at Town Lake.
So, dear Jo, a decade is a long time. For anything. Especially for putting up with me. And my "let's take the handles off the fridge" moments. When we met, the city used to disconnect the electricity at home because I hadn't paid my bills. Now we have children who can spell home in two languages. Not much has changed and so has everything. And you have been the constancy and the change. Thanks for everything, big and small. I love you.
And it's a lot better than sitting in a dark house alone....
Here's to the next 10.


No comments:
Post a Comment