Thursday, August 06, 2015

Newport Mansions

Since Vivian had a play date at her friend's enormous home in Austin towards the end of the school year she has been curious about mansions. So Jo took us on this three mile cliff walk along the ocean in Newport so we could gawk at mansions. If I was forced to slum it in Newport I'd pick Rough Point - built by a Vanderbilt and eventually the home of famous heiress and philanthropist Doris Duke. Vivian asked if this was a real mansion and if it was bigger than "Mr. Darcy's home". I think the answers are yes and no.


We passed a large group of young Chinese students and lots of gawkers like ourselves. The crowds thinned out after a while and the kids got to dip their feet in the ocean. They also set about collecting rose hips to make "rose hip jelly" - thanks Michelle :-)


Somewhere along the walk we passed a young Indian lady dressed in a saree being photographed. A white man was dressed in formal Indian clothing and a turban. Either a wedding or they were modeling. Then we stopped for a family photo. Michelle tried to coax Evan to join us but he steadfastly refused. A few moments later he fell asleep on Jo's back.


On our next visit to Rhode Island Jo plans to take a tour of some of the estates with Vivian and Michelle. Alu and Evan and I will have to go sailing or something.

No comments: