Friday, January 20, 2012

Flat Stanley visits HPS

Eleanor's cousin is sending around a Flat Stanley and it finally made it to Hyderabad in an envelope last week. We decided to take it down to the old school for a photo shoot. We thought the kids at Flat Stanley's school may like to see the pictures of a school in India.

We dropped Vivian off at her school and drove on to HPS. Evan was still in his pjs. We had to park quite a ways away and walk - which was interesting because we walked through the primary school block. I pointed out my old classrooms to Jo -  Mrs. Lamary's PP-II class and Mrs. Bahl's 1-S class. Then we walked past the stairs that led upstairs to what used to be the primary school hostel in my days, where I was a border in my fourth class. We met an aaya who knew Josephine and Mariam, our school aayas when I was 4 years old. The playscapes in front of the primary school must be museum relics - they are exactly as I remember them over forty years ago. The hemispherical jungle-jim, the snail-shaped jungle-jim, and the upright rocket-shaped thing with the metal sign from Regal Sports.

We finally made it to the old main block and then towards the dining hall stairs and the senior school hostel. And around the front of the Science Block. Evan walked around and threw a few rocks. So many things look the same. And so many have changed. The old school bell no longer hangs where it used to - there is still a ring in the arch where it used to be. The lawns are better manicured. The principal's office has moved. The primary hostel has been converted to classes. No cars are allowed in the main school area any longer. And there are girls. Yes - I know they have been around for more than 25 years, but it's still a huge shock.


On the way back the morning recess bell rang in the primary and every child tore out of his (or her) class and dashed around madly, screaming and yelling and running into each other in the corridor. I'm glad some things haven't changed one bit.

No comments: