Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Meetings

Conversation with Evan on the way back home from China Cafe tonight.

Evan, out of the blue: "We used to be rich but now I think we aren't rich"
Me: "Why do you say that?"
Evan: "Because I think we used to be rich and then I took out my money and gave it to Ava for her birthday. Are we rich?"

He's contribution to Ava's birthday gift bag was a penny from his desk.

Jo: "Evan - what do you think rich means?"
Evan: "I think it's having a lot of money"
Me: "What do you do with money?"
Evan: "Buy things"
Me: "And in other ways. How do we pay for school?"
Evan: "You and Mommy go for meetings"
Me: "What do your teachers get for teaching at school?"
Evan: "They go to meeting to learn to be better teachers"
Me: "But what do they get to take home to buy things they need?"
Evan: "They get to take their books from their meetings"

So I get into this discussion about earning money and spending money and using money for things like school and cars and vacations and groceries. And that meetings have nothing to do with it. By then we get home. As the car pulls into the driveway, Evan cuts me short.

Evan: "I didn't ask if teachers are rich. Or if other people are rich."
And then added with emphasis "I asked if we are rich?"
Me, resigning to answer him directly: "Yes"

Years ago my mother had reminded me that when I was Evan's age I asked our nanny/cook if we were rich. Dada, the old man, in his wisdom had nodded sagely and replied "Haa baba. Dhani hai."

The car stopped. I open my door to get out. Vivian, who had been quiet the whole time said "Evan, we are not rich, But we have enough to get by."

I should have let Vivian handle it.

No comments: