Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Lunch

On Thanksgiving morning I woke up and started fiddling with the turkey. I had brined it the evening before and set the pot out on the porch instead of trying to making room in the fridge. Upon returning home from the bar last night I had to bring it in - that night's low was forecast to be 14 degrees and I didn't want the turkey to freeze. So in the morning I washed the turkey, oiled it up and set it in the oil-less fryer. Cooking time based on weight was 150 minutes. I expected a nicely cooked bird at 11:30. Lunch wasn't set to start till 12:30. Enough time.

Turned out that the ambient cold affected cooking time drastically. So at 12:45 I stopped cooking and carried my turkey to the Parish Hall where about 60 people had gathered for lunch. Luckily, Gracie had also cooked a bird and it was actually fully cooked and sufficiently large for everyone to partake. I stuck my tail between my legs and my half-cooked turkey into the oven at the Parish Hall kitchen.

Later, after an enormous lunch, I pulled my now fully cooked turkey out of the oven and put it on the counter. To keep myself occupied, I started carving it up.

Someone walked over a put a bit of turkey in his mouth and nodded and said it was good. And then another. And another. I kept slicing and they kept eating. It took some time, but we didn't have enough for left-overs.


And that's how the first annual Schawang-Burns Thanksgiving lunch went down.

No comments: