Saturday, December 27, 2014

Enchanted

Aaron, Beth, Peyton, Gage and Logan arrived in Austin while we were finishing up at Field's and Hyder's parents' oyster and whiskey party. The next morning we went to Juan in a Million for breakfast. Then we agreed to take advantage of the fine weather and go to Enchanted Rock. Aaron, Peyton, Gage, Vivian and I got ahead of Beth, Logan, Jo and Evan and we had some time on our hands at the top of the rock.

It's been a decade or two since I've been in the "cave" on the back of the rock. I remembered that it was well marked, though utterly dark. We decided to give it a try and everyone slithered down the hole into the first chamber. Aaron turned of the flashlight app on his phone and by then it was too late to turn back around because four boy scouts who were camping there had lined up behind us.

It took us about half an hour of moving, climbing, creeping, belly crawling, and back sliding to get to the other end. I'd say everyone was glad to see the proverbial and literal light at the end of the tunnel. As we climbed out into open air, I was amazed that Vivian had taken it so well. Just another adventure.


We met the mothers and the rest of the kids at the bottom of the Rock (they had climbed up, looked around, waited, given up and started down before we got out of the cave and back into the world of cell phone reception). Then we drove to Fredericksburg for a lunch. Later we took a stroll up and down main street where I took this photo of some of the crew in a huge well polished mirror in a store. We ended the evening watching a spectacular sunset at the Christmas tree at Marktplatz.


Evan was sound asleep in the back seat before we left city limits. Even Vivian - who never sleeps in cars - nodded off as we got to Austin. 

No comments: