Saturday, February 07, 2015

Field Trip

I'm a room parent for Vivian's class. Which means that I help suggest field trips once every few months and send out email soliciting parents to be chaperones. On Friday I unapologetically utilized the full authority of my office to bump off two moms and be a chaperone myself. We went to the Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farm for an architectural tour. I chaperoned all of three kids - Vivian, Gracie, and little Ethan. We had loads of fun and explored important architectural questions like the pros and cons of a double seater outhouse that Vivian and Gracie decided to sit in and pretend poop. With noise effects.


In the last picture I ran into Ms. Mara's group and she and the kids posed for a photo under a huge ancient live oak. I suspect that Maya is the only person in this group that may be white. Diversity!

On the way back to campus, in the bus Ms. Mara said how she would love to do this everyday. Experiential learning she called it. The world as the classroom. She thanked me for coming out and said that I would make a great teacher. Then she enquired how I was doing. I made the universal sign for "ready to shoot myself in the head" as I mentally struck "2nd Grade teacher" off my list of career options. 

No comments: