Monday, February 23, 2015

Florida

On Thursday morning we awoke to the news that there was a family medical emergency and Jo drove off with Carol and Nicolle to Lubbock. I dragged the kids to school and after school activities. Then they played with Ava and got us invited over there for dinner. After a lovely evening at the Valby-Delasandro's, I tucked the kids into bed with hugs and kisses and reminded them that they needed to wear red shirts tomorrow to school to celebrate the Chinese New Year of the Goat Or Sheep. And that there was a strong possibility that we would be in Florida by the next evening.

Once the kids were in bed, Jo and I chatted and we decided that the kids and I would continue with our trip to Praveen's without Jo. Next day I packed, moved car seats, bought snacks and picked the kids up from school about 10 minutes before school lets out. By 3:30pm we had parked at Bergstrom and the kids were running wild through the airport, still dressed in their Year of the Goat or Sheep red shirts.

Evan slept the whole way - from take-off to landing. Vivian watched one of those mind-dumbing tween shows on the Disney channel. Like Jessie, but not.



Praveen met us at Orlando airport. Vivian and Evan were perhaps the only kids in an airport bursting with children who were not on their way to Disney. It took Praveen and me about 30 minutes and several consultations with online guides and forums on our phones to get the car seats installed in his Tesla before we could leave the parking lot, but we finally managed it.

Here's a photo of Vivian and Evan doing their homework the next morning. Then they got to go sit in the steaming spa and dip their feet in the cold water of the pool - chilled by the arctic vortex that had brought freezing temperatures all the way down to Florida.

I mentioned to Arjun who is a high school senior how Vivian had watched the Disney show the night before on the flight over. Then I said that when that happens I tell the kids that their IQ is probably lower and challenge them to say something smart to prove otherwise. And because Evan says the funniest things when you ask him to "say something smart" I did. He mulled it over for a minute. Then he solemnly said:

"Blue blood vessels in your body carry blood that's not been oxygenated"

Arjun gasped. "What grade are you in?"
"PP4. Preschool" Evan replied.
"See how these shows are making them dumber?" I added.

No comments: